Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I simply love Yorkshire and its magnificent scenery. Every season Yorkshire has something magical to offer. There's nothing better than getting my hiking boots on and disappearing into Yorkshire's superb countryside! I take my camera everywhere with me to ensure others can appreciate the many beautiful things that I see on my breathtaking walks. My photography has been featured on ITV Calendar, BBC Look North and has been published in The Yorkshire Ridings Magazine, The Yorkshire Dalesman, Country Walking Magazine and Countryfile magazine. Some of my images have been transformed into beautiful paintings by Yorkshire artists. At the end of 2013 I was selected to be the Face of Ordnance Survey. You can see me in the 'Explore More' campaign. Follow me on Twitter: @NickyLawImages Email enquiries: NickyBusbyPhotography@yahoo.com

Thursday 6 January 2011

Saltergate Brow, North Yorkshire - 2nd January 2011

It became apparent after leaving Pickering and driving up the A169 towards Whitby that there had been some recent snow fall.  The roadside paths were covered with a light dusting of snow and approaching Hole of Horcum revealed that much of the heavy snow that we had been getting in recent weeks was struggling to melt under the cool temperatures over the moors. I stopped at Goathland Moor, just beyond Eller Beck Bridge to try and capture a good photograph of RAF Fylingdales in the distance. This wasn't an easy task as low fog invaded the unique shape of the magnificent structure, followed by heavy snow fall!



In fact, the longer I stood by the roadside the worse the conditions got!

And then the snow really began to fall! So the best thing to do, was to seek shelter in the car for a short while!

The best thing to do was to approach RAF Fylingdales from a different angle.  So I headed back up the hill to Hole of Horcum and decided to take a stroll along Saltergate Brow. I met some friends along the way! I suspect they were after a little leftover Christmas cake!!

So I held the Christmas cake in the palm of my hand and made them all stand in a line while I took this wonderful photograph! (I'm joking by the way!!)
Shortly after proceeding down the Saltergate Brow footpath I noticed a trig point to my right (289m). This is clearly marked on the OS map (OL27) (855941).


Along the footpath were some more greedy sheep, that were prepared to do anything to get to there dinner!!


From this point the footpath was no longer visible due to the covering of snow.  On several occasions I stumbled 12 inches into the snow drifts! It was hard work wading through the deep snow but thoroughly enjoyable.


After walking for about 20 minutes I came across Malo Cross at the foot of Whinny Nab (867949).


Malo Cross is named after the de Mauley family who lived at Mulgrave Castle, near Sandsend. Carved on its north-east head are the initials K with R E beneath - Sir Richard Egerton (Knight). In the latter part of the 19th century the cross disappeared, but it was found in 1924 in a garden in Pickering and was returned to its original position.

Looking straight ahead (East) from Malo Cross was the most inviting woodland area. The perfect stop for a spot of lunch and a little shelter from the frequent snow showers!

When leaving the woods it became obvious that the snow was coming down thick and very fast! The footpath was not visible at all and the best thing to do was to re-trace my footsteps back across Saltergate Brow. It was difficult to take photographs from this point on as the snowfall was very heavy. I'm just glad that I managed to get back to the car after sinking into the snow up to my knees! And as usual, when finally returning to the warmth of the car radiator, the snow stopped once again! :-)



1 comment:

  1. Better than reading a book! Finding your pictures and blogs has been a true delight.

    ReplyDelete