Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I simply love Yorkshire and its magnificent scenery. Every season Yorkshire has something magical to offer. There's nothing better than getting my hiking boots on and disappearing into Yorkshire's superb countryside! I take my camera everywhere with me to ensure others can appreciate the many beautiful things that I see on my breathtaking walks. My photography has been featured on ITV Calendar, BBC Look North and has been published in The Yorkshire Ridings Magazine, The Yorkshire Dalesman, Country Walking Magazine and Countryfile magazine. Some of my images have been transformed into beautiful paintings by Yorkshire artists. At the end of 2013 I was selected to be the Face of Ordnance Survey. You can see me in the 'Explore More' campaign. Follow me on Twitter: @NickyLawImages Email enquiries: NickyBusbyPhotography@yahoo.com

Sunday 26 February 2012

Urra Moor, The Wainstones and Hasty Bank - 26 February 2012

It was a beautiful morning today. A few cumulus clouds around but some lovely sunshine that produced a feeling of Spring in the air!

Before commencing my walk I had to pass through the village of Busby which lies just south of Stokesley, just for name's sake!!


I parked in a layby on the B1257 at Clay Bank just south of Broughton.  I had parked here before when I covered a short section of the Cleveland Way along Urra Moor last year.  The Cleveland way footpath was only a short stroll away which was an added bonus!

I climbed the stepped footpath signed for the Cleveland Way along Carr Ridge towards Urra Moor. 




The initial uphill climb gave way to some spectacular views behind me to Hasty Bank and the Tees Valley.




At the top of the climb is a small flat grassed area. Perfect for a sit down and a coffee. This spot allows you to take in the array of colours from the surrounding landscape.


I proceeded along the Cleveland Way....




....until reaching the highest point in the North York Moors, Round Hill.  The trig point stands proud at 454 metres above sea level.




I love visiting trig points! See my post entitled 'Trig Happy!'



As I sat by the trig point I noticed that the moorland heather had been rolled into bales. Something that I have never seen before!


The weather was changing as clouds appeared to push in from the west, masking the spring sunshine. I retraced my steps back down the Cleveland Way until I reached a track which headed east towards Medd Cragg.



I then picked up a footpath that ran around the edge of Urra Moor before taking an eastern path into Urra village. I picked up the lane from Urra village back to the B1257 and then took a winding track to the Wainstones which stand at the top of Hasty Bank.




This was an excellent stopping point for a bit of lunch.  From here I could see Roseberry Topping, Captain Cook's Monument and Middlesborough.  In the far distance I could see the North sea!

I headed through a snicket that passes through the Wainstones and followed the well marked Cleveland way along Hasty Edge.  







There were many photo stops along the way back to the B1257 to my starting point!

This walk is full of lots of ups and downs with some areas being quite uneven underfoot. Take care!

2 comments:

  1. stunning shots and very interesting , love the way you put it all together Nicky, well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this area - loads of interesting little features round every corner and the views down over the valley are beautiful. On the occasional winter morning when I worked a bit closer to it than I do now, I managed to sneak in an early climb to be on Hasty Bank for sunrise, then off to the office pretending it was just a normal morning :)

    ReplyDelete